Tuesday, October 13, 2009

FAIL: When Twitter Attacks

From the National Republican Congressional Committee's Twitter account, via Politico:
"Funny Video: Moonbattery: Hitler Reacts to ObamaCare Maneuvers"

Hitler, played by Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, is trapped in his bunker with his generals, and rants [in the phony subtitles] about President Obama's revisions to his socialized medicine plan -- and how only he and Nancy Pelosi are still fighting the good fight.

"What the hell are the Democrats doing?" Hitler screams. "At least I have Pelosi on my side. What's wrong with them?... I socialized medicine overnight and everything's going great... Like Pelosi, I don't give a s**t about the American people."

Look, I'm not going to go on a rant about how this is an outrage and the GOP should immediately apologize. What's more entertaining here is what a breathtakingly idiotic move this was. It never ceases to amaze me how many people--in both parties, as well as outside of politics altogether--still don't seem to understand that things like Twitter and Facebook are public. Stupid things you say there are accessible by anyone with an internet connection. Oh, and thanks to screenshots and digital archiving, your inarticulate blathering will be preserved for posterity.

The best part is the follow-up, wherein the NRCC apologized:

UPDATE: NRCC spokesman John Randall says they have pulled down the Tweet and offered a mea culpa:

"We saw the video this morning and thought, like other parodies, that it was funny," Randall just told me. "In 20-20 hindsight, we realized it was in poor taste and pulled it down... I don't want anyone to think we're comparing Democrats to Nazis and to Hitler." (emphasis added)

Nooo...really? Poor taste? How did you come to that stunning conclusion? I suppose as a blogger I should be more sympathetic, but wow.

No comments: