Sunday, March 8, 2009

World Baseball Classic

And now for a leisurely Sunday night blog that has nothing to do with politics. Imagine my surprise when I woke up for work Thursday morning and got to watch baseball while I ate my breakfast--it was Japan and China, playing at 7 PM local time in Tokyo for the World Baseball Classic. I watched the Classic in 2006 for its inaugural year, and I can honestly say it was some of the best, most exciting baseball I've ever seen. I followed the whole tournament and found myself watching the championship game at 2 AM in a study lounge at U.Va.'s Gooch-Dillard Residence Hall--Japan beat Cuba in what I recall as a thriller. These guys are playing for national pride, and you can tell, as it makes for some exceedingly sweet games. 

The USA team features Kevin Youkilis, Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, Brian McCann, Adam Dunn and a host of other MLB stars. Yesterday they beat Canada 6-5 in a nail-biter after losing to Canada in 2006. As I write this, they're beating Venezuela 8-3; if that holds, the USA is going to round 2, where Japan has already clinched a spot. If you consider yourself a baseball fan or an American, you have no excuse not to watch this series. Sure there's March Madness, but with the 'Hoos out of it, what's the point? Oh yeah, and I think there might be one other Virginia team that likely won't be making an appearance...maybe from the Blacksburg area...anyway, watch the World Baseball Classic. You won't be disappointed.

The games are on ESPN, ESPN2 and the MLB network.

No comments: