Monday, March 16, 2009

Coach Leitao "Resigns"

Any of you who follow college basketball in the state have no doubt heard by now that Virginia coach Dave Leitao has resigned/been bought out for $2.1 million. I'm actually not sure how I feel about this--yes, I've been very frustrated with my Wahoos this season and I want to have a winning team, but they really haven't done any worse than expected. I do think he needed to go at some point, but I don't necessarily believe it's fair to place all the blame on Leitao, since having an incredibly young team and one of the toughest schedules in the ACC is grounds for benefit-of-the-doubt. I'm also inclined to have much more patience with Leitao than with certain members of the coaching staff over at Scott Stadium. Nevertheless, I do see this as the business decision it is--the fan base was gathering torches and pitchforks over the mediocre football seasons, and if you can't sell out your new multimillion-dollar arena for ACC matchups, you have to do something to calm the masses and regain the trust of the audience.

For better or worse, so long, Dave. Any thoughts on who might replace him?

No comments: