Monday, December 7, 2009

Double Music Monday: Remembering John and George

Normally I'm hesitant to use a Beatles song for a Music Monday, simply because I wouldn't know where to start. The Beatles were and are the greatest rock band of all time. Period. Trying to sift through all their work and find one song to highlight is an almost impossible task. But I've decided to make an exception for this week, given its historical significance.

Twenty-nine years ago tomorrow, John Lennon was shot dead outside his apartment in New York City. I wasn't around for that, but I've heard plenty of folks talk about where they were or how they found out. What I do remember is December 1, 2001, when George Harrison passed away after a long struggle with lung cancer. Two talented lives that changed music history were sadly cut short.

For that reason, I've picked out two of my favorite Beatles songs featuring John and George. The first is the video of "Rain," prominently featuring John's laid-back, psychedelic vocal delivery.



There's not much in the way of a Beatles video for the second song, but I found a stellar George performance from the 1971 Concert for Bangladesh. Arguably the best song on the White Album, here's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."



And there you have it. I agonized over this decision, mind you.

No comments: